Sunday, March 4, 2007

Name Drops Like Whoa


Are there any other graduating seniors out there? I feel like [adult ]people ask me all the time, "So how do you feel about graduating?" Um, I don't. In fact, I'm too busy to feel anything about anything right now, and when I do have the time to think about stuff, it's just weird.


And then comes the next question: "So what are you going to do after graduation?"

Maybe grad school? But I don't know if I want to do that right away.

But what would you study?

Rhetoric and Composition.

Blank stare.


I don't know if I want to go right away. My mind goes back and forth. And I'm not as excited as I once was about the whole venture, but that could go back to just not having time to feel anything about anything right now.


So there's that. After last week's Adventures in Blogging class (I'm the only one who calls it that) ((and by the only one who calls it that, I mean I just wrote it for some reason right now and didn't delete it)), I stuck around with Kevin and Brett, and somehow my future came up. We were talking about spring break and Brett's plans to go to Las Vegas, and I came up with the idea that I should be a professional poker player. Who cares about teaching kids to write... I should be coming up with witty catchphrases and planning out what outfit would say "I'm a serious player but I came here to party as well." (Brett actually nailed how I really feel about the wit of the professional poker player in his blogpost here)


But then there comes that whole skill thing... and the effort... oh right. And the fact that I would probably suck and lose a lot of money. But they said I could easily make $70K as a poker correspondent (?) or something like that...? And Kevin knows all about movies, so of course he knows about these kinds of things, too.


So I told Brett to make me some contacts out in Vegas. You know, because it is that easy.


If grad school (right away) and being a poker slut don't pan out, I do actually have something I've come across. Actually, one of my professors emailed our class about it, and it's been in the back of my mind all weekend.


I guess the job title is a "Culture Assitant." I'd be living in Spain, teaching English, and working on my Spanish. It's 12 hours a week in a classroom with elementary or secondary school kids for 8 months (October-May). I'd only make about $820 a month, but I have no idea what the cost of living there... and I'd have a lot of free time to pick up some other kind of job...


I don't know. If anyone speaks intermediate to advanced Spanish, maybe you'd like to check it out.


You know what? I'm just not feeling very bloggy today. It's been a long week, and I've been getting these really intense headaches, but that's enough about that. Read Brett's blog and give me the Cliff's Notes on what I need to know about poker.

2 comments:

Mags said...

I know how you feel. I was at a family dinner tonight and my Uncle was bombarding me with the where are you going after this questions. I proceeded to take a long sip of my wine and just smile and shrug. I've decided that will be my new response from now on. But becoming a poker slut sounds like fun, can I join you on this mini-adventure?

Leslie said...

So you want my unsolicited advice about what to do after college? Yeah, well too bad.

I didn't get into grad school the year after college (something to do with my writing sample being written on the back of a cocktail napkin), and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I took a year off (OK, moved back in with my parents) and even though it was a difficult, transitional, and somewhat boring year (I was in Pendleton, OR, after all), I would never change it.

School gets tiring. Thinking gets old. Take it from someone who's now been in grad school as long as I was an undergrad--there is no rush. Go to Spain and teach English. It will make you a better Rhet/Comp student, I promise. Plus, you'd be in Spain, and that doesn't suck.