Tuesday, February 13, 2007

18 forever

So last night I took the exam to get TIPS certified. You don't actually need this certification to bartend in Massachusetts (in fact, you don't really need any formal training at all to get behind a bar here). So I'm pretty positive I passed it: knowing when and how to cut off drunks isn't exactly brain surgery.

And I might have my first bartending jobby-job at my old local hang out:

The Palladium

Yeah I know it doesn't look like much, but I spent many a day and many a dollar at this venue back in my days of being so "scene" and so cool, and not having anything else to do or spend money on. I guess the least they can do is give me a job right?

Well, I think that just might happen. Nothing's set in stone yet, but I was taking a look at some of the upcoming shows that I could be working at. Personally I want to attend Jack's Mannequin and Head Automatica (2/21) or the Killswitch Engage Show (2/23). Jack's Mannequin is the sideproject of Something Corporate singer Andrew MacMahon, who was suffering from some awful disease.

Head Automatica is Daryl Palumbo's side project (lead singer for Glassjaw-- still one of the bands I rock out to when I am an angrypants). Funny thing, he was also suffering from an awful disease. Chrohn's disease is serious. Last December (okay, I remember it was exactly Thursday the 27th), I saw Glassjaw for the first time in a very long time. It brought back a lot of nostalgia. We got to stand up on the balcony over the stage, which was sick because I could pretty much spit on Palumbo's head.

Killswitch is sweet because they're local guys and this will definitely be a welcomed homecoming show. I wouldn't mind working this one at all though.


And then the random Public Enemy (3/10) show. I wonder if it is a 10th aniversary thing... or just another type of spin-off thanks to Flavor-Flav. Either way, I guess.

There's a few other concerts I plan on attending this semester. I have no idea what my exact spring break plans are as of yet, but if I'm around I'll probably hit up the Taste of Chaos tour (Tsongas Arena, 3/22). It's pretty much the harder acts of the Warped Tour on a smaller winter tour. The first time I saw The Used, I was backstage at a Finch concert (at The Palladium, nonetheless). I was actually really impressed with their sound, but all I could think of was "Ew, you do kelly Osbourne..." I wrote an article for my school newspaper about that night, but I left out The Used and their lead singer's shananigans-- like when he spit Jack Daniels all over the blatantly straight-edge-fashionably-punk girls. I have some sort of soft spot for 30 Seconds to Mars: I really didn't want to because of the whole Jared Leto thing, but then again,, it is Jared Leto-- dude's talented. The singles out now are so amn catchy, too. I wonder who writes them... Then there's Senses Fail, who I've seen multiple time (I guess every band on this bill is a multi-timer for me). But anyway, they never really disappoint me. I liked when they got harder instead of emo-ing out.

Taking Back Sunday and Underoath are playing at the Mullins Center (4/5), so that's convinient. Again, both bands I have seen a lot of times, but they never really disappoint, so it could be worth it. But then THIRD EYE BLIND is playing 2 weeks later, and I expect that to be awesome. I've never seen them live, and I have a feeling that will be a show where I won't feel too old to be there (Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel 4/19).

Lastly, theres definitely Brand New at the Webster Theater (5/24)-- a graduation present to myself. I won't even get into that one.

It's funny how I'm listening to the same music I did when I was 18... hell, when I was 16. Some of it from even before that. What will my kids think?? yikes.

"I'm gonna stay 18 forever, so we can stay like this forever, and we'll never miss a party, 'cause we keep them going constantly, and we'll never have to listen to anyone about anything, 'cause it's all been done and it's all been said: we're the coolest kids and we take what we can get..."-bn

No comments: