Monday, April 16, 2007

Fundraising.

A huge part of getting the job in Costa Rica is going to be my interview. Because I haven't done a lot of volunteer work in my college career (I mean, I did lots in high school), I want to show them how serious I am. Because I am going to have to pay for some things (airfare and such add up even when it's volunteer based), having ideas of fundraising might be a "applicant-booster" (I imagine they are going to ask how I am going to pay for these fees during my interview).

I don't really like the idea of asking people I know for donations-- and I know my family is generous enough to help me out however they can. But I honestly like the idea of doing this all on my own. In high school, some of my friends and I were really into the local "scene," so we knew all these bands and would put on benefit shows a lot. I could probably swing something like that. Or, I think I could probably set up something at one of the bars in Amherst or Worcester... or maybe my mom will let me throw ragers in her backyard... haha. Or like, when we were in middle school, there were "town hall dances" thrown as fundraisers-- I wonder if people still do those things...

Or I could potentially make things so that people get something for donating to me. Like, I can crochet (oh great, now the world knows). I could do something simple like scarves (have the summer to work on them)... and then just have a sliding scale or something. I bet I could have a table at the Harvest Festival or the Apple Festival in my hometown because I used to volunteer at all those things when I was younger (did I already mention that I did TONS of stuff when I was in high school?).

Or maybe I should just send a letter to every person I have ever met... explaining my goals and... nah-- I'd rather offer some sort of incentive or product-- basically something fun.

1 comment:

Burdamania said...

"Well, you could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love, too. But they got to pay."